Saturday, March 29, 2008

Lice and Boot

This sounds like a fun post, huh? Well, 2 weeks ago tomorrow I found lice in Emily's hair. We have no idea where it came from. It was spring break when I found it, but I guess she could have gotten it at school before spring break! I found it when I was doing her hair for church... needless to say, none of us went to church that day because I didn't know who had it in our family. That day was filled with lice treatment shampoo and brushing out Emily's hair for 3 hours, vacuuming the floors, furniture, matresses, doing laundry, laundry and more laundry (it took me 1 week to finish all the laundry), and bagging up stuffed animals. It was pretty much a nightmare. Our heads itched the whole day, but I guess it was all in our heads because Emily was the only one who got it! Steve buzzed Austin and Noah's heads as a preventive measure. Every night the rest of that week was filled with me brushing out Emily's hair for 2 hours at a time. It was not a pleasant experience for either of us. A huge thank you to my friend, Lanae who let me use an all-natural treatment and comb she had from when her daughter had it a couple of months ago. It worked soooo much better than the pharmacy version. I am convinced the lice would have come back if it wasn't for the all-natural treatment and comb... it actually kills the eggs, so they can't hatch and lay more eggs. Here's Em during one of her treatments... I can't believe she has a smile on her face... she was crying and whining usually the whole time. Oh and she didn't make it to school on time the whole next week because she didn't go to bed until 10pm or after every night during the treatments. Ok... that same week I found lice in Em's hair, I broke my foot. Wow... what a week. I don't even really know how I broke it. I ran 5 miles on Saturday and the next day I woke up and my foot was swollen and sore. I waited 4 more days, but it just seemed to be getting worse. I went to the podiatrist to get x-rays... the doc said I had a stress fracture and I can't run for 2 months. He gave me a really cool boot to wear for 2 months. I'm so bummed because, first of all, I was training with my friend, Joy to run a 10-k at the end of April, so that's out. And second of all, running is my best form of exercise and helps me stay in shape. I actually can't do ANY exercise that I usually do for 2 months! YIKES! I came to the conclusion that I will do my pilates dvds every day while I have my boot. What a great week, huh? sorry... no pics of my boot yet.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Okay, that is just a sad post all around. Poor Emily. I don't think it passed at my house. I've checked the girls for a week. We still haven't found anything. WHEW!

Sorry about your foot :( That just plain stinks!

Monson Family said...

That brings up SO many memories!!! Late bedtimes, so much laundry, whining!!!! Ugh! NOTHING about that is remotely fun! I am so glad that stuff worked for you guys too! YEAH!!!

Rachel said...

ugh, I made Chris check my head the other night, just in case. He always makes fun of me, but better safe than sorry!